Total Pageviews

Monday, August 8, 2011

Graveyard

One of my favorite things about driving to work in Springfield was that every morning I passed a graveyard during my commute.  Rust-colored iron fencing corralled a landscape of well-manicured grass, draping evergreens, and granite grave markings.  Sometimes, when I left for work early enough, a white fog blanketed the space between the grass and the tops of the gravestones.

I found that I was not depressed by the sight.  I didn't find this reminder of my mortality morbid or worrisome.  In fact, I found that graveyard, and the thoughts of death that accompanied it every morning, inspiring.  It reminded me that my time here is short.  Just like the books I teach my students in class, my life will have a last page. The graveyard reminded me that I only get one shot, and that at some point that shot is over.  Expired.  Finished.  So what do I want to do with my shot?

One thing I decided I want to do is to sell out as a teacher - to go balls-to-the-wall making sure that I validate my students, give them a voice, and help them become thoughtful individuals.  To show them that taking good risks is not only okay, it's imperative. To remind them that no matter what mistakes you make, there is a pile of dirt and a granite stone that will one day cover them all up, so don't take your mistakes too seriously.

The other thing I decided I want to do before my shot is up?   Experience life outside of America.  I want to take my brain, that cerebral silly putty, and remove it from its plastic egg.  I want to stretch it as thin as it will go, press it against a map of the world, and see what parts of the ink stick to it. I want to take the risks that I encourage my students to take.

So, I applied for a job in Abu Dhabi.  Flew to New York for an interview.  Impressed someone.  Got the job.  Sold all of my stuff.  And now I'm off.








6 comments:

  1. Best of luck my friend, I'll be following your journey from a far... See you soon, God Speed.

    -Brandon Sammons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you decided to do a blog! And what a great start. Can't wait to follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam I am so proud of you and hope and pray that you too will be once you've completed a year of possibly the best experience you'll ever have! I wish that you would have done your blog on something else as in KAZ I don't get blogspot - but I will keep updated hopefully sure enough through emails - unless you of course wanted to change it to posterous or something else!!!! Love you Cuz Adam. Enjoy your travels and continue to go 'balls to the wall' with your students and with yourself.

    Love you,
    Cousin Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be following...love that you're writing about it!! Really liked the line about pressing your brain to the map and seeing what sticks! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work buddy, excited to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your first blog entry, Adam. I know that you will inspire and encourage all of your students, and that your life and theirs will be richer for the experiences that you all have. I'm looking forward to reading of your adventures in Abu Dhabi, and wish you all the best. You'll be in my prayers. Best wishes. (Once I got to know you, which didn't take long, I knew you'd live an extraordinary life. How right I was!)

    ReplyDelete