Total Pageviews

Monday, October 17, 2011

If Not For Wheelers, What are Weekends Four?

"We use the weekends for rest, you see?! You Americans - you go! go! go! all week and then on the weekends you go! again.  We Arabs, we use the weekend for rest.  Not for going and doing.  For rest!"  

I'm quoting my colleage Tarick here.  A genteel soul if there ever was one, but I'm beginning to think he doesn't share my enthusiasm for pursuing adventure on our days off.  For the first four weeks of school I asked him every Sunday (our Monday) what he did over the weekend. On each of the four Sundays I received "nothing" as his response.  This week when I asked, I received the charged retort I've cited for you above. 

Since Tarick doesn't want to swap weekend adventures, I guess I'll tell you guys.  

This weekend I decided to visit the Emirates of Sharjah and Fajairah.  I've been learning to skimboard, and I heard Fajairah has some great skimboarding beaches.  If you don't know what skimboarding is, maybe that's because I invented it.  Okay, I didn't invent it, I just perfected it.  Okay - I suck at it.  But I did master one little trick which you'll see in a video below. 

On my way to Fajairah (a 3 hour trip from Al Ain), I ran across this place that rented fourwheelers (Motorcycles as they called them).  

Without any training or warnings, these guys set me up with a fourwheeler. They gave me a helmet, but it was too big and the straps didn't work.  Safety was their number one priority, if by "number one priority" we mean "the thing they didn't care about."  

While I was riding, I took a video to help you throw up.



Oh Tarick, if you only knew what you were missing out on.  Rest on the weekends?!  I'll rest when I'm dead...come to think of it, I'm surprised I'm not.  

When I got to Fajairah, the beaches did not disappoint.  I spent all day consuming mouthfuls of salt-flavored sand learning how to do this trick.


And here's the thing...the best part of it all, the highlight of the weekend - I purposefully left out of the blog.  You want to know what it is?  Come over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment